Wednesday, April 8, 2015

How to Know if Your Rabbit is Pregnant

They say rabbits multiply in seconds. I wouldn't say I do not believe in that saying but since I have a rabbits in a year for now. I started from 2 rabbits then now after a year I somehow I have roughly more than 50 rabbits some rabbit I gave to a friend whom loves rabbits also and some sad to say died. A female can carry 2 to 12 babies in their womb but it really depends on the rabbit breed.

For a female pregnancy is always a high risk. So be sure to check out for the signs if your bunny is pregnant.

Below are the signs to check if your rabbit is pregnant. 

First clue a doe is pregnant is her mood - she gets cranky.  A doe who was your best friend might suddenly flee to the back of the cage when she sees you coming. She might growl a little if you open the door to her cage.  Does can get grouchy as early as a few days into her pregnancy.


The surest way to know if your rabbit is pregnant is to "palpate" her abdomen - meaning to feel for little baby lumps.  You do this as early as day 10 or as late as day 14. This requires some practice, usually.



Some pregnant rabbits start trying to 'dig' inside their cage from 2 weeks pregnant and beyond.  You might notice the doe scratching quite diligently at the far corners of her cage.



Another pregnant rabbit clue occurs a week or less before she's ready to give birth (3-4 weeks pregnant).  Some pregnant rabbits become desperate to build their nest.


Pregnant rabbits don't always 'look' pregnant, not even on the day they kindle (give birth).  Of course, if there's 15 kits in her belly, you might wonder if you oughtta duck and cover - she'll look big enough to pop.  Most frequently, they'll lose their waistline along about the last few days of the pregnancy.  That's why it's helpful to know these pregnant rabbit clues for confirming your suspicions.

The pregnant rabbit usually gives birth on day 31 without fail.  But the bunnies can arrive on day 28 up to day 34.  If I've bred the doe and buck in the evening, I can expect the kits on the morning of day 32.  If no babies by day 35, the doe was probably not pregnant.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there
    I mated a virgin female rabbit 9 days ago and today as I came close to her,she started running away from me . could this be a sign of pregnancy?

    ReplyDelete